What is more refreshing than mint chocolate chip ice cream? The palette-cleansing flavors of mint paired with decadent semi-sweet chocolate make the perfect choice for an after-dinner dessert. While buying a pint of ice cream from the store is convenient, many people do not realize that they are only a few steps away from making an even better, homemade version.
Why Make Homemade Mint Chocolate Ice Cream?
Making a homemade mint chocolate chip ice cream is great for a few reasons.
You Control the Flavor
You like a sweeter or darker chocolate than what store-bought versions provide? Great! Throw in your favorite chips. Use as much peppermint extract as you want, or use mint leaves instead. The taste of homemade ice cream is completely up to you.
You Control the Ingredients
Have you ever looked at the nutrition label and tried to pronounce some ingredients listed on your ice cream? By making your own, you do not have to worry about what you are eating, or what you are feeding your family. You can use any sort of healthy alternative ingredients and completely leave out preservatives for more nutritious ice cream.
You Can Make the Recipe Fit Any Diet
Between keto, vegan, sugar-free, dairy-free, lactose-sensitive, and any other diet, it is hard to find a brand that can fit all of your needs. With a recipe, you can make all the substitutes you need to make the mint chocolate chip ice cream suitable to your family’s lifestyle and dietary needs. It’s easy to get vegan or keto ice cream that tastes good when you make it yourself.
Besides the fact that you are in control of your ice cream recipe, another benefit is that it is usually cheaper to make homemade. You might even have some of these ingredients already in your kitchen, and you don’t need an ice cream maker to make it unless you want to get one. Let’s get started!
- 2 cups of heavy whipping cream
- 1 (14oz) can of sweetened condensed milk
- Mint extract to taste (I use 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips (I prefer semi-sweet or dark chips)
- Whip heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in sweetened condensed milk, mint extract, and chocolate chips.
- Pour in freezer-safe loaf pan.
- Cover with plastic wrap. Push plastic wrap onto the ice cream mixture to prevent freezer-burn.
- Freeze overnight, and serve with your choice of toppings.
Customizing the Recipe
Whether you have picky eaters, friends and family with dietary issues, or you want to just put your own spin on the simple dessert, there are many ways you can make this homemade mint chocolate chip ice cream your own. If you want to make this recipe unique, here are a few suggestions.
- Use peppermint extract instead of spearmint for a flavor that tastes like winter. Color the ice cream with red food coloring to add some extra flair.
- Add in green food coloring to make it look like your store-bought ice cream.
- Make the flavor more intense by adding your favorite chocolate mint candy like peppermint patties or chocolate mints.
- Freeze the mixture in a cake pan, and place between chocolate cookies for homemade ice cream sandwiches.
- If you are serving vegan guests or family, use coconut cream, vegan sweetened condensed milk (make your own with just coconut milk and honey) and dairy free chocolate chips.
- Top with brownies, whipped cream, and hot fudge for a sundae.
- Serve with coffee to make a mint mocha affogato. This idea is perfect for those of us who cannot stop drinking peppermint mochas or peppermint frappuccinos.
There you have it! This simple recipe can be made quickly and easily. It is so easy, that your kids can even help you. So tonight, go to the store, pickup whatever ingredients you might need, and have the dessert that you have been craving. Make some homemade mint chocolate chip ice cream, today!